Friday, June 22, 2007

Come on cartoon Lily, light my fire

MARK RONSON, THE PRODUCER behind Amy Winehouse and the 40s revival currently taking place in pop music, recently released an album of his own in Britain. It's coming to the States in early July, and it should make a splash, even if it's not an enormous commercial hit (which it may wind up being). For the album, he's teamed up with some of the artists he's worked with recently, including Winehouse and Lily Allen.

This video is for the track he cut with Lily Allen called "Oh My God." It's representative of the general feel of the songs I've heard so far: they roll forward with a strong rhythm section, and the man's never met a horn he didn't like. The video is fun, a play on the Jessica Rabbit performance in Who Framed Roger Rabbit - a great fit for his modernized 40s sound - with an animated Allen in the Jessica Rabbit role.

Mark Ronson with Lily Allen - "Oh My God"

But do you think we could add a French horn someplace?

More Ronson! The first single off the album is a cover of "Stop Me," a Smith's song, and the vocal here is by Daniel Merriweather. It's a great choice for a first single. It reels you in, makes you want to listen again, and makes you wonder what the rest of the album is going to sound like.

Mark Ronson with Daniel Merriweather - "Stop Me"

I was a part of the fabulous girl group The Supremes.

And for good measure, here's the Jessica Rabbit clip. I remember being, like, thirteen or so, and being really turned on by Jessica Rabbit. And then I turned out gay. Go figure. I'm not sure what it means, but a psychologist would probably have a field day with it.

Jessica Rabbit - "Why Don't You Do Right"

I like boys and misproportioned, over-sexed animated women.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I have the CD, if you want it. I've got UK connections cuz I'm awesome like that.